24 Nevsky Av.,
St. Petersburg, 191186, Russia
Tel.: +7 (812) 322 9681
Fax: +7 (812) 322 9682
Andrey Tuzov has been engaged in protection of accused and suspects in economic crimes. He specializes in defending clients in proceedings over fraud, embezzlement, misappropriation, and abuse of power in the private and public sectors. He has been engaged in proceedings over crimes against the state.
Andrey also has been successfully representing and defending victims and witnesses in civil cases related to criminal prosecution. He has successfully defended officials, including CEOs of manufacturing companies, heads of cultural, educational and medical institutions; for a long period, he has defended the interests of a major holding company and conducted compliance audits of its activities.
Andrey’s recent highlights:
- Defending the CEO of a large international manufacturer regarding the tax audit that revealed multi-million VAT arrears. The audit resulted in a report submitted to the law enforcement authorities for initiating a criminal case. Thanks to the efforts made by attorneys of the Firm, no criminal case was initiated against the client.
- Representing the interests of a Russian leading road construction company during investigative proceedings related to additional tax charges identified during the tax audit.
- Defending the officials of the company managing one of the largest Russian airports in a criminal case initiated over contamination of a water body.
- Representing the interests of the largest Russian fish importers in a case on smuggling initiated in connection with the erroneous labelling of goods, which led to its seizure by the customs authority as sanctioned goods in the amount exceeding USD 1 million.
- Representing the interests of the client, the importer of tobacco products, in an investigation of the tobacco products imported from Sweden by the customs and law enforcement authorities; representing the client in investigative proceedings; advising the client’s officers on potential audits.
- Defending a client in Spain to avoid his extradition to the Russian Federation for criminal prosecution in a case initiated over an alleged fraudulent embezzlement of funds exceeding RUB 1 billion.
- Defending top managers of a Kazakh company owned by a Russian businessman in a criminal case initiated against the employees of the ministry and contractor in a CIS country in connection with accusations of embezzlement of funds on a particularly large scale during the implementation of construction works. Coordinating of an international team of lawyers to secure proper defence, including implementation of requests for legal assistance in three EU jurisdictions. The case resulted in acquittal.
- Representing the beneficiary of major Russian regional IT company in criminal proceedings based on the client’s contractor fraud under a construction contract and its further bankruptcy.
- Representing an oil & gas company engaged in energy and investment projects preventing its hostile takeover as a result of the opponent’s fraudulent behaviour.
- Advising one of the largest Russian IT companies in a precedent-setting dispute with its former employee who used his official position for illegal enrichment..
Andrey has been engaged in drafting amendments to the Russian Code of Criminal Procedure on the use of restraints, restrictions of rights for suspects or accused, appointment of forensic examinations and compensations to victims.
He is a member of the Centre for Criminal Law Policy and Enforcement of Judicial Acts, established at the Expert Chamber of the All-Russian Public Organization “Business Russia”.
Andrey is currently a senior lecturer at the Criminal Procedure and Forensic Science Department and is on the Educational Board of the St. Petersburg State University Faculty of Law. In 2012, the Krasnoyarsk Krai Court awarded Andrey a certificate of honour for his contribution to the development of procedures for mediation and settlement of disputes.
The Legal 500 2021 marks Andrey as a criminal law expert, describing him as a “high-level professional, able to describe the situation in a language accessible to a non-lawyer and propose solutions”. Best Lawyers 2022 and Russian ranking Pravo.ru-300 2021 have recommended Andrey for criminal law.
Andrey graduated from Krasnoyarsk State University and St. Petersburg State University with degrees in criminal law.
He received his PhD in criminal process from St. Petersburg State University in 2023.
He is fluent in English and Czech.