21, 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya Str.,
Moscow, 125047, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 935 8010
Fax: +7 (495) 935 8011
Vladimir Talanov represents clients in international arbitration and litigation and specializes in complex cross-border disputes, as well as advises on international trade law, foreign investment and issues related to the work of the World Trade Organization and the Eurasian Economic Union.
He has extensive experience of representing clients in arbitration proceedings under ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL and SCC rules, as well as coordinating litigation in the courts of Russia, the USA, EU countries, Turkey, India, Singapore, Serbia, England and Wales and others. Among the recent projects of Vladimir in the field of international litigation are:
- Representing a client in arbitration proceedings in New Delhi and several Indian state courts in a dispute with the Indian shareholders of a Russian-Indian joint venture.
- Representing a major Russian cement manufacturer in arbitration under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce and in related litigation in a number of European countries in connection with the termination of the acquisition of a group of manufacturing companies in Europe.
- Representing a Russian state-owned company in the courts of England in a cross-border bankruptcy case.
Vladimir is a recognized expert in the field of international trade law and provides clients with support in structuring international investment projects, and advises on the implementation of measures aimed at reducing customs duties and obtaining various government support measures. Vladimir also has significant experience in the legal support of the automotive industry, both in terms of entering foreign markets, and in obtaining government support measures and structuring foreign investments.
Vladimir’s recent experience in international trade law includes:
- Advising one of the largest Russian steel pipe producers in the framework of the safeguard investigations in the Eurasian Economic Union and the EU.
- Advising a foreign metallurgical company in the framework of anti-dumping and countervailing investigations in the Eurasian Economic Union.
- Advising a regional economic organization on the legal aspects of improving the mechanism for interstate dispute settlement.
- Providing support to a Russian industrial group during the conclusion of a special investment contract with the Ministry of Industry and Trade of Russia.
- Providing support to a Russian car manufacturer in obtaining specific and general measures of state support (subsidies, state guarantees, and equity infusions).
- Advising a foreign manufacturer of chemical products on the requirements for packaging and transportation of products for their import into the Eurasian Economic Union.
Vladimir actively represents the interests of Russian companies in rule-making work and took part in the development of a number of federal laws, including the Federal Law “On Industrial Policy in the Russian Federation”, the Federal Law “On Protection and Encouragement of Investment in the Russian Federation”, amendments to the Budget and Tax Codes of the Russian Federation.
Alongside his law practice, Vladimir teaches at the National Research University “Higher School of Economics” and St. Petersburg State University, where he lectures on public international law, international trade, cross-border dispute settlement and regional economic integration.
Vladimir graduated with honors from the Faculty of Law of St. Petersburg State University and received an additional Master’s degree in International Law and Economics (magna cum laude) from the World Trade Institute, the University of Bern, Switzerland. Vladimir also graduated with honors from the Faculty of Philology of St. Petersburg State University, having received the qualification of an interpreter in the field of professional communication. He has been admitted to the St. Petersburg Bar Association.