21, 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya Str.,
Moscow, 125047, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 935 8010
Fax: +7 (495) 935 8011
Outside-the-box thinking when it comes to problem solving and his personal approach to the client
Sergey has considerable experience in advising corporate clients on a wide range of Russian and international tax issues, in particular, in the field of tax structuring of transactions and investments, taxation of financial instruments and derivatives. Sergey successfully represents clients in tax disputes. He also has a wealth of experience in advising private clients on deoffshorization and amnesty of capital.
Before joining the Firm, Sergey Kalinin was a Tax Partner at Liniya Prava, he also he also worked at Russian law firm, international law firm and at one of Big Four accounting firms.
His experience highlights include:
- Advising one of the largest airlines in Russia on tax issues related to their new bonus program.
- Advising Rusnano on various issues related to the floating and business of the investment partnership – a legislative instrument for Russian pooled investment.
Sergey’s experience in representing clients in tax disputes includes:
- Representing Shell Oil in an arbitration with the tax authorities on the legal recognition of consulting services expenses rendered within the group.
- Representing a client in a dispute with the tax authorities on reasonable costs for the payment of the external loan interest used for the intra-group financing.
- Representing one of the largest international oil and gas companies in an arbitration with the tax authorities on costs arrived at by the PSA operator in the calculation of income tax, as well as other contentious PSA application issues.
- Successfully representing ANO "Center of arbitration proceedings" in a dispute with the tax authorities on VAT exemption of the arbitration fee.
Sergey graduated from the law faculty of The State University of Land Use Planning. He holds a Ph.D. (Graduate School of the financial faculty at Kutafin Moscow State Law University) and an LL.M. in international taxation (Vienna University of Economics and Business).
He is a permanent member of the Russian branch of the International Fiscal Association (ROS-IFA), member of the Chamber of Tax Consultants (Russia) and has been admitted to the Moscow Bar Association.
Sergey speaks fluent English.
- — Tax
Sergey Kalinin Will Speak at the ICC Russia Online Discussion on Currency Regulation and Control
Rankings and Awards
Pravo.ru-300 Recommends More Than 50 EPAM Lawyers in 38 Areas of Law
World Tax 2022: EPAM Among Leaders of International Tax Rankings