24 Nevsky Av.,
St. Petersburg, 191186, Russia
Tel.: +7 (812) 322 9681
Fax: +7 (812) 322 9682
Alexey Karchiomov is an expert focused on maritime, shipping and transport law, as well as international trade and customs regulations.
Alexey advises clients on a broad range of issues that may arise during the process of setting up and conducting international trade. He assists in preparing, negotiating, and managing contracts. He also provides legal advice throughout the customs process and assists in interactions with customs authorities, comprehensive risk assessments and the formulation of import/export strategies. Alexey represents clients involved in international trade relations before state bodies, advises on issues relating to technical, foreign exchange regulation and export control, and defends clients in commercial courts.
Alexey’s most recent projects in the area of international trade and customs law include:
- Advising a prominent Russian corporation on issues related to the draft bill for the establishment of the Free port of Vladivostok.
- Preparing draft amendments to legislation to simplify the government regulation of the shipment of goods, materials, and components sourced from a foreign country or groups of countries by request of a major Russian clothing company.
- Advising a large vehicle manufacturer on entering into agreements with the Russian Ministry of Economic Development to assemble automotive components.
- Representing an international supplier of branded clothing on issues related to the investigation and suppression of counterfeits of this brand in Russia.
- Defending in court a major Russian distributor of foreign cosmetics against parallel imports of goods by unauthorized persons in violation of the law.
- Acting for one of the world’s largest generic drug manufacturers whose goods were blocked by the customs authorities as allegedly being under Russian embargo.
- Providing a global Travel Value & Duty Free sector leader with legal advice on customs law and EAEU technical regulation. Analysing and amending international trade agreements and standard stipulations with a view to harmonizing them with local customs and technical regulation.
- Defending a major foreign electric motor manufacturer in a court dispute against customs authorities that arose due to the incorrect classification of goods by customs authorities and the client being unlawfully held liable. Supporting the client during field customs audits.
- Developing customs strategies and policies for a major foreign clothing retailer, advising on customs controls in the field of intellectual property rights, and how to structure licence payments.
- Establishing a system of interlinked standard contract forms for international shipments for one of the largest global metals companies; checking and editing the international trade contracts with regard to customs law, foreign exchange control, and international sanction regimes.
In the field of maritime law, Alexey advises on ship construction, purchasing, sales, registration, management, and chartering; bill-of-lading and charter party disputes; limitation of liability for ship owners; ship arrest and release; marine insurance and maritime safety and rescue. Alexey’s knowledge of English law enables him to offer clients comprehensive legal solutions and to successfully resolve issues.
His recent projects include:
- Advising a major tug-fleet operator on matters concerning the licensed towing of Russian and foreign ships in Russian territorial waters.
- Advising a foreign Client on ship owner’s liability for damage caused to the infrastructure of a seaport; negotiating with the owner of the damaged terminal; defending the Client’s interests out of court.
- Acting before court and out of court for a cargo owner against a ship owner who illegally withheld the cargo in one of Russian seaports due to the third party consignor’s failure to pay the freight bill.
- Advising a major international container line on making amendments to standard bills of lading.
- Advising on issues related to the conclusion of contracts for the delivery and transportation of petroleum products and their subsequent resale en route.
- Advising a ship owner on their liability for water pollution caused by petroleum products, and the limits of this liability.
Alexey obtained his bachelor’s degree, and then his master’s degree, from St. Petersburg State University, School of Law. In addition, in 2012 he obtained his LL.M. (cum laude) from the IMO International Maritime Law Institute, being awarded the IMO Secretary-General Mr. Koji Sekimizu's Prize for his final dissertation.
The international ranking The Legal 500 2021 recommends Alexey as “Next Generation Partner” in the category of transport law, noticing his “readiness to provide assistance at any time”, as well as “quick response to inquiries, clear and understandable recommendations and the ability to offer several solutions to problems". The rankings also marks him in the category of commercial, corporate and M&A in St. Petersburg. The international rankings Best Lawyers 2021 recommends Alexey as an expert in the field of customs law. The leading Russian rating Pravo.ru-300 2021 recommends Alexey in Group 1 in the field of maritime law, foreign economic activity / customs law and currency regulation and transport law. Alexey is also marked as a leader of the legal services market of Russian newspaper "Kommersant" rankings in the field of foreign economic activity and maritime law.
He is the author of Duties of Passenger Ship Crews in Emergency Situations.
Since 2012, Alexey has been a regional expert for the International Maritime Organization in the field of maritime safety.
Alexey is fluent in English and Lithuanian.
Alexey has been admitted to the St. Petersburg Bar Association.
Virtual Workshop “Effect of Cancel Culture for Russian Businesses: Performing Obligations in the New Reality”
Pavel Sadovsky and Alexey Karchiomov Will Speak at ICC Russia International Trade Week
Alexey Karchiomov Will Speak at the International Maritime Exhibition and Conference “NEVA 2021”
Alexey Karchiomov Will Lecture on International Maritime Law in St. Petersburg State University
EPAM Attorneys Provided Legal Assistance to HTS tentiQ GmbH on Contractual and Currency Control Issues
EPAM Advised One of the Largest E-Sports Brands on the Launch of an Internet Platform for Fans of a Professional E-Sports Team
Rankings and Awards
Pravo.ru-300 Recommends More Than 50 EPAM Lawyers in 38 Areas of Law