21, 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya Str.,
Moscow, 125047, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 935 8010
Fax: +7 (495) 935 8011
Torez Kulumbegov specialises in tax planning and structuring. He is experienced in carrying out tax due diligence and is also competent in advising on the tax aspects of M&A transactions.
He has been involved in numerous projects including:
- eurobond issuance and provision of bank financing;
- tax due diligence;
- consulting on tax aspects of M&A transactions;
- tax structuring and planning;
- tax consulting in connection with the changes in the Russian tax legislation in terms of deoffshorisation;
- tax audit support, as well as administrative and judicial contestation of the results;
- advising on the application of currency legislation.
His project highlights include:
- Drafting a memorandum on the interpretation of Presidential Decree No. 79 of 28.02.2022 on the application of special economic measures in connection with unfriendly acts by the United States of America and foreign states and international organisations that have agreed to them.
- Challenging in court the results of a tax audit concerning the denial of a tax exemption for an RIP (regional investment project) by a major gold mining company.
- Drafting a tax opinion on the risks of registering a permanent establishment of a US manufacturer of automatic transmissions and hybrid power trains for commercial vehicles.
- Advising DynaEnergetics, a global leader in production and sale of oilfield equipment, in a complex project of plant closure and sale of a subsidiary in the Tyumen region. Providing legal support in developing an exit strategy for a Russian business, liaising with potential buyers, as well as conducting due diligence of the assets.
- Supporting the acquisition of securities of Petropavlovsk PLC by Yuzhuralzoloto Group of Companies. In 2020, our client acquired from Aeon Mining Limited a 22.37% stake in a leading gold mining company Petropavlovsk PLC, as well as convertible bonds of Petropavlovsk 2010 Limited secured by Petropavlovsk PLC. The deal facilitated the development of gold deposits in the Far East regions of Russia.
Prior to joining the Firm's team in 2016, Torez worked at Big Four firms such as Ernst & Young and KPMG, as well as at law firm Clifford Chance CIS Limited.
In 2014, Torez earned a Master of Laws degree from the Moscow State Institute of International Relations (University) of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
He is fluent in English.
Torez is admitted to the Moscow Bar Association.
- — Tax