21, 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya Str.,
Moscow, 125047, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 935 8010
Fax: +7 (495) 935 8011
Maxim Tabolo is an Associate in Intellectual Property/TMT practice.
Maxim advises clients on various aspects of intellectual property law and is experienced in both prosecution and enforcement matters.
Maxim represents clients before state commercial courts, including the Court for Intellectual Property Rights, as well as in negotiations. Maxim’s experience also includes managing large-scale IP portfolios of well-known Russian and foreign companies consisting of hundreds of trademarks and patents. He has also assisted clients in complex projects on acquisition of IP rights in multiple jurisdictions.
Being a registered Russian trademark attorney, Maxim represents clients before the Russian Patent and Trademark Office (Rospatent) and the Chamber of Patent Disputes in complex revocation actions and opposition proceedings.
In addition, Maxim is involved in transactional matters, assisting with legal due diligence investigations and supporting transactions related to assignment and licensing of IP.
Maxim’s recent career highlights include:
- Represented NTG Nordic Transport Group A/S before the Chamber for Patent Disputes and the Court for Intellectual Property Rights in a precedent-setting dispute concerning the client’s core trademark. The court’s ruling in this case led to the development of a new approach to the legal protection of abbreviations as part of trademarks in Russia.
- Represented a well-known foreign manufacturer of sports equipment in an invalidation action initiated against a trademark registered by its Russian distributor. As a result, the court invalidated the trademark and ruled that its registration in the name of the distributor constituted an abuse of rights. The client was able to register the trademark in Russia in its own name.
- Advised a leading international tobacco company on the risks related to registration and use of trademarks in Russia.
- Advised major Russian retail bank on all aspects of intellectual property law, being in charge of the client’s IP portfolio in Russia.
- Represented a leading local producer of low-alcoholic beverages in a complex non-use cancellation action instigated against a trademark of a competitor.
- Represented a foreign manufacturer of tableware and household appliances before the Court for Intellectual Property Rights in a series of non-use cancellation actions.
- Advised a well-known retail chain on enforcement of IP rights to trademarks and company name.
- Represented a leading apparel manufacturer in the opposition proceedings against Russian trademark applications of a competitor. As an outcome of the proceedings, Rospatent has refused registration of a family of competitor’s trademarks imitating the marks used by the client in Russia.
- Managing a large IP portfolio of a world-famous pharmaceutical company.
Maxim has been repeatedly recognized by international rankings, including The Legal 500 (Rising Star in Intellectual Property, 2020-2021), IP Stars (Rising Star, 2021), Best Lawyers (Intellectual Property, 2021-2022). World Trademark Review 1000 (2021-2022).
Maxim graduated from the School of Law of Lomonosov Moscow State University with honours and holds a Master’s degree in Private Law. In 2021, Maxim completed a postgraduate course in trademark filing, prosecution and maintenance at the Russian State Academy of Intellectual Property (RGAIS).
Prior to joining EPAM, Maxim worked as an Associate in a leading Russian law firm.
Maxim is fluent in English.