21, 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya Str.,
Moscow, 125047, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 935 8010
Fax: +7 (495) 935 8011
Elena Kazak represents clients before the Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service and the Government Commission for the Control of Foreign Investment, including within the framework of the Decrees of the President of the Russian Federation. Elena advises Russian and international principals on compliance with antimonopoly legislation, legislation on foreign investment in strategic companies and Decrees of the President of the Russian Federation.
Elena's experience includes:
- Advising on the approval of the PPG transaction in Russia in connection with a tender offer for Tikkurila shares. PPG received approval for the transaction from the antimonopoly regulators of the European Union, Finland and the Republic of Kazakhstan, but the transaction also required the approval of the Russian FAS.
- Obtaining unconditional clearance from the FAS Russia for Alstom's acquisition of Bombardier Transportation in a global M&A transaction worth EUR 6.2bn.
- Advising on the approval of a joint venture deal between Yandex and Uber by the FAS of Russia ("Deal of the Year" according to Forbes).
- Supporting the joint acquisition of Lummus Technology from McDermott International in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic. Under the terms of the share and asset purchase agreement, Chatterjee and Rhône committed to acquiring Lummus from subsidiaries of McDermott as part of McDermott’s restructuring process.
- Advising on Russian legal issues of the USD 28bn acquisition of food manufacturer H.J. Heinz by investment funds Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital.
- Obtaining antimonopoly clearances in Russia and Ukraine for the USD 1.6 bn acquisition of approximately 60% in the world's largest producer of fruits and vegetables – Dole Food Company, Inc – by the company’s CEO who already held an approximate 40% stake in the company.
- Obtaining approval from the FAS Russia for the acquistion by a leading France-based construction group of an international group of companies in the area of engineering and multi-technology services (design of ventilation, heating and cooling systems, and maintenance of infrastructure).
- Advising on competition law and assessing whether a joint venture between an international hotel operator and a developer specialising in the construction of hotels and recreational facilities should be approved by the FAS Russia.
- Advising on the approval of a deal with FAS Russia for the acquisition by a global pharmaceutical company of one of Russia's largest drug manufacturers.
- Advising on the approval of the acquisition of a major construction chemicals producer by a French company specialising in the production and processing of industrial minerals with the FAS of Russia.
- Obtaining Russian FAS approval for the largest acquisition by Chinese investors of assets in the US - the acquisition of a meat processing company worth more than USD 4.7bn.
- Advising on the approval of the merger of two of the world's largest (№2 and №3) advertising operators with the FAS.
- Obtaining FAS approval for the acquisition by the global leader in manufacturing and selling advanced technology based on cable and wireless systems of a Russian subsidiary of a leading global supplier of products and integrated solutions for TV broadcasting. The value of the transaction was approximately USD 220m.
Prior to joining the Competition Law Practice of Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners, Elena worked for a major Russian law firm.
Elena is active in the Association of Competition Experts.
She has participated in Russian and foreign conferences (inc. round tables) and has a number of publications and teaching experience.
Elena graduated from Lomonosov Moscow State University. She holds a PhD from her alma mater. She has completed internships at the University of Regensburg, Germany, and the University of Salzburg, Austria.
She is fluent in English.