21, 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya Str.,
Moscow, 125047, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 935 8010
Fax: +7 (495) 935 8011
Best Lawyers (2009-2020) Kommersant (2019)
Dmitry Stepanov, PhD, is actively involved in the improvement of Russian legislation and has over 15 years of experience in corporate law, securities, restructuring and corporate finance, M&A, bankruptcy and commercial litigation.
Being actively interested in the fundamental reform of the Russian Civil Code, Dmitry was involved in creation of a new version of the Code as a member of the Non-Profit Partnership for Advancement of Corporate Law and as an active member of the Presidential Task force to create an international financial centre in Moscow.
Dmitry played key roles in such landmark deals as:
- Advising creditors of the world’s leading vodka producers, Roust Corporation, Russian law issues in the course of the international debt restructuring.
- Advising an international bank on the setting up of an investment fund in Russia.
- Advising on corporate governance in the course of creating a JV between the Moscow City Government and Russian Railways as part of reconstruction of the Minor Ring of the Moscow Railroad.
- Advising the leader in the Russian petrochemical market on the setting up of a joint venture with one of the world’s largest oil and gas companies.
He has also taken part in such high-profile litigation cases as:
- Representing, a major foreign investment fund operating in the real estate sector.
- Representing a major Russian developer in a dispute with a bank, succeeding in having the creditor cancel an USD 80m debt.
- Representing the interests of a client before The Constitutional Court in a case regarding the ownership of the property, acquired from the individuals who possessed it in circumvention of the rights of the State.
Dmitry has a vast experience in law drafting participation, including:
- the reform of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation;
- the federal law On Limited Liability Companies;
- the federal law On Joint-Stock Companies;
- the federal law On the Securities Market (in respect of reorganizations, public buyout offers with subsequent “squeeze-out” of the minority shareholders);
- the federal law On International Companies.
Dmitry’s law drafting experience also includes advising the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation and the Property Committee of the State Duma in respect of a wide range of major legislation, including the Federal Laws on Joint-Stock Companies, on the Securities Market and on Insolvency/Bankruptcy. He was also engaged in a joint project between the Inter-Parliamentary Assembly of the CIS States and the European Bank for Reconstruction & Development (EBRD) for drafting a Model Joint-Stock Law for the CIS countries.
Alongside his law practice, Dmitry teaches at the National Research University "Higher School of Economics", Statute Law School, and the M-Logos institute. He heads the Corporate Law Department at the Russian School for Private Law.
He has authored several articles and up to 80 academic papers in leading Russian law journals.
Dmitry has a degree from the Moscow State Law Academy (1999, magna cum laude) and the Russian School of Private Law (2001, master’s degree in private law, magna cum laude). He completed his post-graduate studies at the Institute of Legislation and Comparative Legal Studies under the Russian Government and was given PhD in law degree in 2004. Subsequently in 2013 he earned an LL.M degree from Harvard Law School, and in 2015 successfully completed Master of Public Administration program at Harvard Kennedy School.
Dmitry was a member of the development of the "road map" working group for the improvement of corporate governance at the Agency for Strategic Initiatives, and in 2017 – a member of the Expert Board on Corporate Governance for the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation. He is a member of the Board of the Arbitration Center at the Institute of Modern Arbitration.
He has been admitted to the Moscow Bar Association.