21, 1st Tverskaya-Yamskaya Str.,
Moscow, 125047, Russia
Tel.: +7 (495) 935 8010
Fax: +7 (495) 935 8011
A special legal intuition and good understanding of the market
Denis Arkhipov is the Co-Head of the Litigation Practice. He specialises in disputes in the areas of corporate, contract and antitrust law, real estate law, defending business reputations, telecommunications sectors, as well as exclusive rights, including copyrights, on the Internet.
Denis also heads the Firm's Wealth Transfer and Family Law Practice. He possesses considerable experience in representing individuals in family law disputes, including litigation (divorce and property division matters).
Denis's experience includes projects such as:
- Developing a defence strategy and representing IMC Montan before the courts in a USD 140m claim brought by a commercial bank. The case is unique in its attempt to hold an external consultant professionally liable for over a hundred million dollars, particularly for the actions of a third party (borrower) who failed to repay a loan.
- Defending ZMK 1520 in a precedent-setting dispute with New Forwarding Company over recovery of losses in the form of overpayments for railcars. The dispute ended with a settlement agreement.
- Representing Boston Consulting Group in several litigations in Russia.
- Represented a manufacturing company before Russian courts in a case for recovery of a penalty of RUB 1bn unlawfully withheld by the state transport company for late delivery of vehicles.
- Defending a toll road operator against billions of dollars in claims by the Federal Treasury in a dispute over the cost of implementing a concession project for constructing a toll road.
- Representing a client before a court in a separate dispute in bankruptcy proceedings against Vneshprombank LLC regarding the client's subsidiary liability.
- Successfully defending Yandex, Russia’s largest IT company, before courts in a dispute over Google’s anticompetitive behavior on the market of pre-installed app stores for Android.
- Providing comprehensive legal support and defending the interests of a company before a court of appeal against a claim for invalidation of a transaction involving the sale of a 1/3 share in the authorised capital in another company to the client.
- Defending a foreign shareholder in a corporate dispute surrounding Russia's largest pet food manufacturer.
- Representing the client's minor children before Russian courts in a dispute to establish paternity and recognise the children as heirs after the death of a famous cultural figure. The work included support for the inheritance case, including the search for rare art objects and other cultural valuables.
- Advising a major Russian businessman, one of Russia's richest people, on drafting a will under Russian law.
- Drafting a prenuptial agreement that meets the requirements of both Russian and English law.
- Representing a private person before Russian courts in disputes with his ex-wife over the establishment of a procedure for communicating with the children and the division of jointly acquired property. The Firm's attorneys developed a comprehensive legal position, drafted a procedure for communicating with the children in Russia and the USA and discovered hidden assets of the ex-wife in the USA that were subject to division.
Denis started his career in the legal department of the State Property Management Committee of the Kemerovo Region Administration, where he was a state representative in the governing bodies of joint-stock companies and was involved in high-profile court cases.
Denis graduated cum laude from the Law School of Kemerovo State University in 2001. He obtained a Master’s degree in Private Law cum laude at the Russian School of Private Law in 2004. In 2011 he earned a PhD degree at the Law Department of the Institute of State and Law of the Russian Academy of Sciences. He is also an alumni of SKOLKOVO business school program and International Institute for Management Development (IMD) “LIFT: Leadership Identity Foundation and Transformation”.
Denis is the Head of the Joint Department of EPAM with the Faculty of Law at National Research University Higher School of Economics.
He has been a member of the Moscow Bar Association since 2002