24 Nevsky Av.,
St. Petersburg, 191186, Russia
Tel.: +7 (812) 322 9681
Fax: +7 (812) 322 9682
Alexander Svashenko specialises in representing the largest Russian and foreign companies in construction, rental, securities, corporate and land litigations. His recent highlights include:
- Representing the interests of Transaero Aviation Company’s founders in one of the largest bankruptcy cases (the total size of the register of creditors is more than USD 3.8 billion), including representing the client in the largest Russian case of bringing to subsidiary liability in separate disputes on challenging transactions and recovering documents as well as in the personal bankruptcy case of one of the company founders.
- Advising the general contractor of a large sports facility construction site on resolving claims with dozens of contractors for civil works, services, material and structure deliveries. Alexander is currently engaged in representing this client in a number of litigations with the construction project owner and the counterparties as related to the recovery of billions of rubles in penalties and debts.
- Protecting the interests of the Pulkovo airport operator "Air Gateway of the Northern Capital" in a resonant environmental dispute.
- Defending the interests of FSUE Morsvyazsputnik - the only provider of INMARSAT satellite communications services in Russia - in a dispute over work contracts, as well as representing its interests in the bankruptcy case of a contractor.
- Protecting the interests of bankruptcy creditors of Energocapital, formerly one of the largest brokerage companies in Russia, in a dispute over bringing the opponent's beneficiaries to subsidiary liability for USD40.8 million.
- Representing the interests of Global Metcorp, part of the international group of steel brokers, in the bankruptcy case of LLC Torex (earlier one of the largest steel supplier). The work included defending the client’s interests in disputes on inclusion of his claims in the register creditors in the amount for over RUB 900m, challenging the contract concluded between the bankruptcy trustee and the debtor, subordination of friendly creditors’ claims with the debtor and cancellation of judicial acts on the unlawful approval of the bankruptcy trustee.
- Representing a large Russian bank in arbitration courts regarding the bankruptcy of a Russian foreign trade group. The Firm’s lawyers managed to prevent an attempted tunneling of the debtor’s valuable assets from the bankruptcy estate, delaying of the proceedings and transferring the dispute to foreign jurisdictions.
- Representing a foreign paper company in a dispute with municipal authorities regarding the recovery of land plot rent arrears and the identification of the landowner.
- Representing a domestic market leader among satellite and communication services providers in a dispute with mala fide counterparties who would provide similar yet unlicensed services in the area while using insecure communication channels.
- Representing the shareholders of one of the largest energy companies in disputes with mala fide parties who are trying to secure corporate control and recover damages using fraudulent schemes.
Prior to joining the Firm in 2015, Alexander worked as a lawyer at a Russian law firm where he handled deal structuring and land law matters, as well as dispute resolution. Before that, Alexander had worked for a consulting company where he practiced migration and corporate law.
The international ranking Best Lawyers recommends Alexander in the field of arbitration, mediation and litigation. In 2019, he became the best young lawyer in St. Petersburg according to the legal rankings of the “Delovoy Petersburg” newspaper. Legal rankings have repeatedly recognised the litigation cases Alexander has worked on as the most interesting cases in the region.
Alexander has been awarded an honorary diploma from the St. Petersburg Bar Association for high achievements in the implementation of professional activities in 2020.
In 2013, Alexander graduated from the law school of the St. Petersburg State University and in 2015, he earned his Master’s degree in Business Law. He has been admitted to the St. Petersburg Bar Association.
Alexander is fluent in English.