On 7-8 March, 2019 an international conference entitled “A Common European Law on Investment Screening” and organized by the South Denmark University and the Gothenburg University will take place in Gothenburg, Sweden. Vladimir Talanov, Senior Associate at Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners’ International Trade and Customs practice, will take part in this event.
The research conference shall take stock of the current rather fragmented regulatory approaches and produce the very first, interdisciplinary grounded, comprehensive appraisal of a future “Common European Law on Investment Screening”. The event is expected to influence the broader debate on the EU’s upcoming regulation of this matter.
The topics will include:
- Economic Foundations of Capital Controls and Unilateral Liberalisation of Capital Movements by the EU Treaties;
- Investment Screening – The Return of Protectionism?
- “The European Origins” – the EU Member States Rules on Screening Foreign Investment;
- “The Hidden European Investment Screening Mechanism Already in Place” – Existing EU Secondary Legislation on (Discriminatory) Treatment of Third Country Investments;
- Beyond Europe – The Screening Schemes of Major EU Trade Partners;
- EU Constitutional Preconditions and Limits;
- Possible Functions of a Common European law on investment screening;
- A Possible Design of an EU Investment Screening Mechanism.
Vladimir Talanov will chair a panel entitled “Beyond Europe – The Screening Schemes of Major EU Trade Partners”.