Dmitry is actively involved in the improvement of Russian legislation and has 15+ years of hands-on experience in corporate law, securities, restructuring and corporate finance, M&A, bankruptcy and commercial litigation.
As an active voice of the Russian business community interested in the fundamental reform of the Russian Civil Code, Dmitry was recently involved in creation of a new version of the Code as a member of the Non-Profit Partnership for Enhancement of Corporate Law and as a member of the Presidential Task force to create an international financial centre in Moscow. In 2016 Dmitry became a member of the development of the "road map" working group for the improvement of corporate governance at the Agency for Strategic Initiatives, and in 2017 - a member of the Expert Board on Corporate Governance for the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation.
After joining Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners in 2009, Dmitry played key roles in such landmark deals as:
- Advising UC RUSAL on its USD 16.8bn restructuring.
- Advising an international bank on the setting up of an investment fund in Russia.
- Advising UC RUSAL on its IPO at Hong Kong Stock Exchange, the first Russian IPO in Hong Kong and the “Deal of the Year” in Asia, according to analysts.
- Advising on corporate governance in the course of creating a JV between the Moscow City Government and Russian Railways as part of reconstruction of the Minor Ring of the Moscow Railroad.
- Advising the leader in the Russian petrochemical market on the setting up of a joint venture with one of the world’s largest oil and gas companies.
He has also taken part in such high-profile litigation cases as:
- Structuring and implementation of a defense strategy for a client, a major foreign investment fund operating in the real estate sector.
- Representing a major Russian developer in a dispute with a bank, succeeding in having the creditor cancel an USD 80m debt.
- Advising a Russian company in one of the high profile litigation cases in the High Court in London.
Other highlights in Dmitry’s experience in drafting of laws include advising the Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation and the Property Committee of the State Duma in respect of a wide range of major legislation, including the Federal Laws on Joint-Stock Companies, on the Securities Market and on Insolvency/Bankruptcy. He was also engaged in a joint project between the Inter-Parliamentary Assembly of the CIS States and the European Bank for Reconstruction & Development (EBRD) for drafting a Model Joint-Stock Law for the CIS countries.
Alongside with his law practice Dmitry teaches at the National Research University "Higher School of Economics", Statute Law School, and the M-Logos institute. He has authored several monographs and up to 80 academic papers in leading Russian law journals.
Dmitry has a degree from the Moscow State Law Academy (1999, magna cum laude) and the Russian School of Private Law (2001, master’s degree in private law, magna cum laude). He completed his post-graduate studies at the Institute of Legislation and Comparative Legal Studies under the Russian Government and was given PhD in law degree in 2004. Subsequently in 2013 he earned an LL.M. degree from Harvard Law School, and in 2015 successfully completed Master of Public Administration program at Harvard Kennedy School.
Dmitry Stepanov is recommended by The Legal 500 (in Corporate and M&A, Banking and Finance, and Shipping and Transport), Best Lawyers (in Corporate, Mergers and Acquisitions, Arbitration and Mediation, and Litigation) and IFLR1000 (in Restructuring and Insolvency). He is a member of the Moscow Bar Association.