On 8 March 2015, the Russian President signed Federal Law No 42-FZ, ‘On Amendments to Part One of the Russian Federation Civil Code’. The amendments, which will have significant ramifications for Russian business, will enter into force on 1 June 2015. The new law will introduce completely new concepts and consolidate approaches previously established through legal precedent.
During this business breakfast, leading associates from the Firm’s St. Petersburg Office will discuss the key changes and their consequences for business, new possibilities for structuring transactions, and approaches to potential problems arising from the newly adopted legislation.
The business breakfast will take place on 28 April 2015 (Tuesday), from 10:00 to 13:00, at the Firm’s St. Petersburg office (24 Nevsky Prospekt, 4th floor).
- General amendments to contract law
- Correction to standard procedures for fulfilling obligations
- Fundamental amendments to procedures for changing persons responsible
- Clarification of provisions for terminating obligations
- Strengthening standards for responsibility and the nuances of clause 395 of the Civil Code
- Reform of the basic principles of contractual rights
- Adjustments to the regulations on concluding, enacting and cancelling contracts
- Freedom of contract versus protection of the weaker party
- Contract negotiations
- New types of contracts (option, framework agreement, subscriber’s agreement, indemnity)
- Estoppel in contract law
- New regulations and new structures for M&A transactions
- Additional protection for agreements of intent
- Regulation of preliminary contracts
- Extending the possibilities for using options
- Liberalization of the approach to ‘contingent transactions’
- Strengthening structures for assurances
- Security transactions
- Codification of Supreme Arbitration (Commercial) Court of the Russian Federation penalty practices
- New regulations on sureties and guarantees
- Deposit and preliminary agreements
- New approach to security: the security payment
- Ivan Smirnov, Managing Partner of the St. Petersburg office of the Firm
- Elena Agaeva, Counsel, Head of M&A and Corporate Practice at the St. Petersburg office of the Firm
- Evgeny Gurchenko, Senior Associate in the Litigation Practice at the St. Petersburg office of the Firm
- Evgenia Evdokimova, Associate at the St. Petersburg office of the Firm
Contacts: e-mail: email@example.com; phone: +7 (812) 322 96 81 (Yulia Medvedeva).
*The event is closed to representatives of law firms, lawyers in private practice and consulting companies.
**The event program and speakers are subject to change.