Dmitry has over 20 years of experience in litigation and international arbitration, particularly specialising in large, complex and multinational disputes involving various jurisdictions.
Among his clients are state-owned corporations as well as leading Russian and foreign companies in industries such as oil & gas, banking, retail, development and construction, and agriculture. Over the course of his career, he has acted for clients including Bayer, Sanofi, Tetra Pak, BP, Condé Nast, Credit Suisse, the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, Limitless, MTS, Alfa-Bank, Miratorg, Renaissance Capital, and others. Dmitry has also represented the Russian Federation in several large-scale international cases. He has considerable expertise in international arbitration (both commercial and investment cases) with extensive experience of arbitrating under ICC, SCC, LCIA, ICDR, UNCITRAL, GAFTA and ICAC (MKAS) rules.
His recent major cases include:
- Representing the Government of the Russian Federation (through the Ministry of Finance) in UNCITRAL arbitration case vs ExxonMobil.
- Representing the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation in the USD 4bn plus complex multi-jurisdictional litigation dispute over the landmark assets in different Russian regions.
- Representing the City of Saint-Petersburg in a UNCITRAL international arbitration case over the termination of a concession agreement for construction of infrastructure.
- Representing Limitless, the leading UAE investor, in a very complicated dispute over client’s JV with RDI Group. Matter value: USD 200m.
- Representing a leading European investor in Russian agricultural sector in a dispute out of a complex “share swap” transaction between two Cypriot companies, each holding a group of Russian subsidiaries with agricultural lands as their underlying assets. Matter value: SCC: ca. EUR 20m, Russian courts: RUB 1bn”
- Defending the interests of a CIS largest EPC company for oil and gas businesses in the cassation proceedings over a claim brought by a shipyard seeking to recover over RUB 340m.
- Defending the interests of a subsidiary of a nanoindystry giant in international litigation case raised from the illegally conducted transfer of USD 90m effected by the investment fund (in which the client invested) without getting approval of the investment committee of the said fund (where the client was represented).
- Representing a global petroleum company in a corporate dispute in the Russian courts.
- Representing a shareholder in the SCC Arbitration in a corporate dispute arising out of an M&A transaction over a number of valuable assets in Russia.
- Representing a Russian automotive manufacturer in an arbitration case in Stockholm under ICC rules.
- Representing a British company in the ICAC (MKAS) in a charcoal supply agreement dispute.
- Supporting a Russian state-owned corporation in its dispute in the Cypriot court concerning shareholding and management of an investment fund.
- Representing a major Russian telecommunication company in connection with a corporate dispute in New York under AAA rules.
- Representing a major German grain trader in an international arbitration under GAFTA rules in connection with defense from parallel torpedo litigation initiated by the respondent in Russian courts.
Dmitry’s career milestones include the role of general counsel at a Russian holding company and managing partner roles at two law firms.
Dmitry Dyakin is listed among Russia's top arbitration practitioners by Global Arbitration Review. Kommersant ranked him in first place in individual International Arbitration ranking in 2017.
Dmitry is co-author of The Dispute Resolution Review (UK, 2010) and has written a number of articles published in international and Russian journals.
Dmitry holds a Master of Laws degree from New York University School of Law (USA), an Executive MBA from London Business School and Columbia Business School, an Honours Degree in Law from Moscow State Social University and a Master’s degree in Private Law from the Russian School of Private Law.
Dmitry Dyakin has been admitted to the Moscow Bar Association and is a member of its International Relationships Committee. He was the regional representative of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG) in Russia and the CIS. He chairs the ICC Russia Commission on International Arbitration and Russian Arbitration Association Working Group on Investment Arbitration, and is also a member of the Eurasia / Russia Committee of the American Bar Association (ABA); the British Institute of International and Comparative Law; the International Bar Association; and the SIAC Users Council.
Dmitry has been appointed a Vice-President of the Presidium of Arbitration Centre at the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP) in 2017; and elected to the RSPP Board in 2018.