Roman specialises in banking, M&A, joint ventures, general corporate law, corporate governance, merger control, foreign investments, and insolvency/restructuring.
His recent work in corporate transactions includes:
- Advising a major transnational oil and gas player in relation to the structure of the corporate governance of its Russian joint venture and settlements of conflict between the shareholders.
- Advising a Russian company on the acquisition of a stake in a major transnational pipeline project including coordination of legal teams in several CIS jurisdictions.
- Advising a Russian investment group on the acquisition of a Russian vertically integrated oil and gas group.
- Advising on the sale of a controlling stake in one of the largest Russian private banks and the simultaneous acquisition of financing from the Deposit Insurance Agency totalling almost USD 1bn.
His recent banking & finance and capital markets experience includes:
- Acting for the borrower in obtaining a loan from Sberbank to refinance the borrower's debt (total amount of approximately USD 4.5bn).
- Advising a governmental agency on a crossborder private placement of a 10% stake in VTB Bank with a total value of RUB 95.7bn (USD 3.3bn).
- Representing a machinery building holding in a USD 1.5bn refinancing of a corporate debt and obtaining a unique syndicated loan.
- Restructuring of the corporate debt of a major Russian holding operating in the power, non-ferrous metallurgy and mining industry under two syndicated loans and two bilateral credit facility agreements with a total amount of $1bn.
- Advising a group of borrowers on the refinancing of their USD 120m debt to a pool of Russian and international banks; the case was complicated by the need to approve the terms with international lenders and the filing for bankruptcy against one of the borrowers.
Highlights of his experience in litigation and real estate include:
- Advising an investor on a litigation case in respect to the construction of a nuclear power plant in Iran.
- Advising a client in a corporate dispute over a major CIS-based distillery company.
- Advising of one of the largest gas extractors in the world on the structuring of construction agreements, including dispute resolution rules; and drafting the internal regulation of the Client in that respect.
- Successfully representing a Russian developing company in the dispute with a constructor (construction of a hotel in Saint-Petersburg).
- Representing a Client in the successful settlement of a dispute between a major construction company and its investors.
- Representing a Russian university in the acquisition of the building in Moscow and negotiations with the vendor (developing company).
- Representing a group of Russian and foreign investors in the procedure of acquisition of land plots in Krasnodar region and following legal assistance in construction of different buildings at the land plots.
Roman is a member of Commission on Banks and Banking Operations at the Russian Union of Industrialists and Entrepreneurs (RSPP); member of Committee on Business Finance and Credit Guarantee at Delovaya Rossiya (Business Russia), an all-Russia public organization.
He has held a number of in-house roles throughout his career, having started as an in-house counsel at Incombank in 1998. In 1999 he joined Baltinvestbank as an in-house counsel and then moved on to become its Head of the Complaints and Claims Department. From 2004 until 2008 he worked as in-house counsel in a number of commercial real estate developers where he was particularly involved in the establishment of a five-star hotel and a business centre in historical buildings in St. Petersburg.
Roman graduated from the Law School of St. Petersburg State University in 1999.