24 Nevsky Av.,
St. Petersburg, 191186, Russia
Tel.: +7 (812) 322 9681
Fax: +7 (812) 322 9682
Ilya Tur specialises in advising and representing clients before Russian courts in various disputes, including those involving foreign law.
Ilya is experienced in working on complex corporate disputes, insolvency cases, real estate and asset ownership disputes, commercial disputes and other liability proceedings, and in recognition and enforcement of foreign arbitration awards.
His recent experience includes:
- Representing a pool of foreign investors in Moldova Agroindbank, one of Moldova’s largest banks, in an action to nullify the ruling of an ad hoc arbitration court allowing the bank to write off shares which belonged to the Firm’s Clients. The Firm successfully represented the interests of its Clients before the Arbitrazh Court of St. Petersburg and Leningrad Region, and in the Federal Arbitrazh Court of the Northwest District.
- Representing a major alcoholic beverage company before the courts in debt recovery cases. Thanks to the work of Ilya and his colleagues, the Firm’s Client won the case in all three jurisdictions, and was able to submit its demands – confirmed by valid judicial acts – as part of a bankruptcy case. The subsequent work in such jurisdictions as the USA, the UK and Belize has led to the successful removal of claims by creditors affiliated with the debtor totalling RUB 500m deleted from the schedule of the bankrupt’s debt.
- Defending a Client in a corporate dispute involving a well-known St. Petersburg company. The Firm’s attorneys convinced the court to rule that the actions of minority shareholders were invalid, thus resolving the dispute and protecting the Client’s interests.
- Defending the real estate interests of an energy company before the court. The work of Ilya and his colleagues during court proceedings and negotiations between the parties resulted in compromise and an amicable settlement.
- Securing the recognition, enforcement, and execution of a ruling issued by the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) International Court of Arbitration in the Russian Federation. Court proceedings resulted in the recognition of the foreign arbitration ruling by Russian judges and its enforcement in the Russian Federation. The decision was subsequently carried out in full, and the Client received the entire amount awarded by the court.
- Representing one of the country’s largest chemical companies in a series of court cases to recover debt and contest the actions of bailiffs. Ilya and his colleagues successfully defended a legitimate set-off, thereby blocking the unlawful collection of a large sum from the Client. The Supreme Commercial Court of the Russian Federation found no basis for reviewing the Court of Appeal’s ruling in favour of the Client.
- Defending the interests of a major foreign investor. Ilya and his colleagues convinced the Federal Arbitrazh Court of the Northwest District to revoke the decision to issue an order enforcing the ruling of an ad hoc arbitration court, and to overturn the ruling itself.
- Securing recognition and enforcement of an award of the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA). Under Ilya’s leadership, the Firm’s attorneys secured a decision to recognize and enforce the LCIA award mandating the recovery of a substantial sum in favour of the Client, a foreign national.
- Representing one of the country’s largest retailers in cases contesting decisions of tax authorities worth circa RUB 600m. The Firm secured court rulings in favour of the Client in all three jurisdictions.
Ilya’s high level of expertise was recognized by the influential Global Arbitration Review (GAR) 100. Ilya Tur has been named Lawyer of the Year for Litigation by Best Lawyers 2019. He has also been recommended by Best Lawyers as one of the country’s best dispute resolution attorneys.
A member of the St. Petersburg Bar Association since 2006, Ilya Tur has been recognized by the Association on numerous occasions. He has received several Success in Defending Business and Entrepreneurship awards and a Letter of Commendation for Professional Excellence.
Ilya has worked as a professional mediator since 2010. He is a member of the League of Mediators, which brings together specialists highly experienced in the resolution of business disputes of every degree of complexity.
Ilya Tur graduated from the St. Petersburg State University, School of Law.
He is fluent in English, and is currently studying French.
- — Litigation
- — Bankruptcy