Serhii Sviriba is a Managing Partner and a Co-head of International Arbitration and Litigation Practices of Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners Ukraine. Serhii advises and represents companies, individuals and the states in disputes with a particular focus on international arbitration and cross-border litigation. He has particular expertise in complex, cross border disputes, such as those arising out of oil and gas, energy and manufacturing, real estate and construction, metallurgy and natural resources, media and technology, joint ventures, financial transactions, and in connection with top-managers’ duties and fraud.
Mr. Sviriba has represented clients in a significant number of cases, among others:Among his clients: the State of Ukraine, A1 Group, Irish Bank Resolution Corporation, TEVA Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., UEFA, Pacific Inter-Link, Central Bank of Iceland etc.
- Representing Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Limited (IBRC) in its multidimensional dispute (over 35 litigations in Ukraine) relating to the enforcement of the Bank’s rights to the commercial real estate;
- Representing the State of Ukraine in four separate cases brought by foreign investors at ICSID: three cases resulting in wins for Ukraine, including one dismissed under Art. 41.5 of the ICSID Arbitration Rules first time in the ICSID history;
- Successfully vacating of an award rendered against the state of Ukraine in favor of a Norwegian investor by the Arbitration Institute of the SCC and protecting the Ukraine's assets in France, Netherlands, Belgium and UK against attempts by the investor to attach such assets;
- Representing NJSC Naftogaz of Ukraine in eight related SCC arbitrations arising out of disputes relating to gas supply, storage and transit contracts with aggregate value of claims exceeding USD 8 billion;
- Representing a global grain trading and food processing company in arbitration proceedings in London and Ukraine over classification of grain terminal structures;
- Representing an international shipping company in multijurisdictional proceedings in Ukraine, the UK, Cyprus, France, Monaco, the BVI and Panama on recovery of approx. USD 25 million in connection with a dispute regarding the development of a container terminal on the Black Sea shore;
- Representing a shareholder of a major Ukrainian telecommunication services provider in a multijurisdictional dispute over control of assets USD 23.8 billion;
- Representing the client in one of the dispute involving complex issues in proceeding on recognition and enforcement of a multi-million dollar LCIA award in Ukraine;
- Settlement of a multi-million dollar claim to the client having already been upheld by a Ukrainian court. After a successful round of negotiations, the parties reached an agreement to an amount approximately 15 times lower than the court-approved claim.
Mr. Sviriba is recognized as a leading arbitration practitioner by Chambers, GAR100, The Legal 500, Best Lawyers, and asset recovery specialist by Who’s Who Legal. He is also named one of the best top-managers nation-wide according to the research “TOP-100. Best Top-Managers of Ukraine”.
Mr. Sviriba has a diploma of Jurisprudence, International Law Department, Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, Ukraine, 1995.
Mr. Sviriba is a member of Ukrainian Bar Association; serves as exclusive representative of a global anti-crime network ICC FraudNet in Ukraine. He is also empanelled with the KLRCA as Mediator and Arbitrator (2014-2017).
Mr. Sviriba is a co-founder of Magisters law firm (1997) which has successfully merged back in 2011 with Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners.
In 2002-2004 Mr. Sviriba served as the Deputy Chief of Trade & Economic Mission to the Embassy of Ukraine in USA and rejoined the Firm in 2004.