An English law qualified lawyer, Michael Copeland has advised on a wide range of M&A and corporate law issues. He has also has extensive experience of advising on settlement of corporate and commercial disputes. Michael is based in Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners LLP’s London office, having previously worked at the Firm’s Moscow office, between 2013 and 2015.
Before joining Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners in 2013, Michael worked for Herbert Smith Freehills in London, Singapore and Moscow. He had worked in Russia for a total of 7 years between 2005 and 2015, and has a strong track record in advising clients on complicated Russia-related corporate, joint venture and energy transactions.
Michael also spent time on secondment with a major international oil company both in London and Moscow working on M&A and joint venture matters.
Representative M&A transactions include advising:
- Sinopec on its groundbreaking USD 3.7bn acquisition of Udmurtneft, a Russian oil producer, from TNK-BP;
- a Russian investment fund on the split of jointly-held assets worth USD 15bn;
- an international infrastructure investment fund on its USD multimillion acquisition of an interest in an operator of heat and power generation and heat distribution facilities in St Petersburg;
- a leading CIS energy group on its acquisition of coal mining companies operating in Russia;
- one of the selling shareholders on the sale of a controlling interest in a major Russian fertiliser producer;
- a Russian investment fund on the acquisition of a pre-IPO stake in a pharmaceutical company;
- a Russian private equity fund on the consortium acquisition of a Russian mortgage bank and related shareholder arrangements.
Representative joint venture experience of Michael includes advising:
- a leading Russian petrochemicals producer on its multi-million joint venture with an Indian partner;
- an Asian investment fund on its joint venture with a local partner to establish a network of petrol filling stations in eastern Ukraine;
- a Japanese client on its proposed upstream joint venture with a major Russian oil company;
- a Russian developer on a property joint venture with a US/European real estate fund.
Michael graduated from the University of Nottingham (UK).