Denis Arkhipov, PhD, has vast experience in structuring business and private asset ownership in Russia and abroad, establishing of personal holding structures (trusts, private foundations, private trust companies). He advises on family and inheritance relationships, purchasing and structuring of private asset ownership.
Denis has expertise and significant experience in representing individuals within the settlement of family disputes, including litigation, divorce and division of marital property. Denis’ experience in the field of family disputes and divorce proceedings includes but is not limited to advising a Russian billionaire with significant assets both in Russia and abroad on drafting the prenuptial agreement and further on the divorce proceedings and the division of property, as well as advising on issues relation to children (custody, alimony procedure and so forth).
Additionally, he has acted in such cases as:
- Representing a number of the clients in the divorce proceedings in the Russian Federation and English law countries including structuring settlement covering different jurisdictions.
- Representing a number of the clients in the disputes over child custody.
- Advising a private client on family law issues, including representing interests in the Supreme Court.
- Advising a foreign citizen regarding the litigation in the division of joint property.
- Advising an investment company on hereditary law issues.
Denis Arkhipov also specialises in IP litigation, corporate and contract law, antitrust law, protection of titles to real estate and sole rights, securities and insurance-related disputes. He is experienced in energy supply, landline and mobile communications. Denis consistently represents clients in court proceedings in Russia’s Supreme Arbitrazh Court and arbitrazh (commercial) courts of Moscow and St. Petersburg and the regions of Kemerovo, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk, Arkhangelsk, Rostov, Khanti-Mansiysk, Komi and Krasnodar as well as relevant courts of appeal and cassation instances.
He has been involved in some landmark and precedent-setting disputes including:
- Representing a shareholder of a mining and metals company, in the largest shareholder dispute in Russian corporate history.
- Representing the Russian Federation and the Foundation for Tube Industry Development in disputes related to the defence of the Russian market in regard to imports from Ukraine, this included hearings in the Supreme Arbitrazh Court of Russia.
- Representing Russian Railways in a dispute with the Federal Antimonopoly Service of Russia over the change in the schedule of commuter railway trains.
- Representing a packaging monopoly on abuse of dominance charges.
- Representing the Bolshoi Theatre in a dispute with a music critic who sought to recover RUB 2m and an official apology as a compensation for moral damages. As a result, the Tver District Court of Moscow rejected the claim of our Client’s opponent.
- Representing a lender in bankruptcy proceedings of a well-known car dealership holding.
- Representing a foreign investor in litigation against the State over a stake in the biggest pulp and paper plant.
- Advising a well-known Moscow book-store in the attempt of its hostile takeover.
Prior to joining Egorov Puginsky Afanasiev & Partners, Denis worked with the government of the Kemerovo Region and a Moscow-based law firm where he represented major federal landline and mobile operators in various disputes, including those related to titles to real estate, corporate and antitrust law, bankruptcy proceedings of a number of coal mining and automotive companies.
Denis graduated cum laude from the Law School of Kemerovo State University in 2000. He obtained a Master’s degree in Private Law cum laude from the Russian School of Private Law in 2004. In 2011 he earned a PhD degree at the Law Department of the Institute of State and Law of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Denis is the author of the book Risk Distribution in Contract Law (2012) and a number of articles.
He was admitted to the Moscow Bar Association in 2002.